How to Avoid Persons with Narcissistic Personality Disorder?
Now that the GOP debates are over, and the debate over Donald Trump’s narcissistic behavior has ended, we can now examine that popular topic with a recent sample in front of us.
I will not start with symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder since you can find every information about that in various websites (although I believe one of the most rigorous explanation is on this site).
Knowing a narcissistic is knowing yourself first:
- If you have a personality disorder, especially dependent personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder or one of schizo disorders, you will pull narcissistic personality disorder like a magnet.
- If you and your close friends think that you are a nice person, you may be a nice target for a narcissist.
- If you hardly say no to demands of others, you are a great target for a narcissist.
- If you don’t like yourself, ever criticizing yourself, living in the past and accusing yourself for your sins, you are an easy target for narcissist.
- If you think, you have done everything for your relationship or whoever other, but didn’t get anything back, you are in the palm of a narcissist.
- If you were an only child or had a childhood under the control of a person with a personality disorder, you are again an easy target for narcissistic.
- If you are trying to keep the calm in a relationship so you are being humble just because of that, then you are a nice target.
I will add more probabilities for being a target for the narcissistic. But the important thing is in order to protect and defend yourself from a narcissist, you have to change yourself and your personality through any means possible. Now let’s find out how to protect yourself from a narcissistic while in the relationship:
- First, the most important and the hardest thing is to not being afraid. Do not afraid and the door and the way will open. You may be scared of the anger, you may be afraid of losing anything and everything, but believe me, there is a vicious cycle of fear, narcissistic supply, bad treatment, sorrow. If you once believe in yourself and don’t fear, you will get out of this cycle. Still ceasing the fear shouldn’t be in the form of anger, it should be in the form of acceptance. Don’t be afraid and accept whatever happens due to your lack of fear.
- For a more practical protection, be calm and answer any orders or critics or blames with “I understand you, but this is what I think (this is what I want, this is what I did)”. Works most of the times since narcissist needs understanding and we give it to him/her in the first sentence and then put a stand in front of him/her. Since narcissistic personality disorder feeds from fear inside an understanding and a stand against them may prevent them from their everyday behavior.